Sunday 19 April 2020

Sunday Morning Papers

Every Sunday morning it was my job to get on my bike and get the Sunday newspapers before the Archers omnibus started. We didn’t have a regular Daily paper, although Dad would often bring home whatever papers had been left behind. Mum would give me money to get a tabloid  and the Observer . I was allowed to get myself a chocolate bar or packet of crisps with the change. It was one of my earliest routines.

My parents argued that there wasn’t time to properly read the paper during the week, and what was the point if you weren’t going to read every word? I liked the random papers during the week because I noticed how the same story could be written from so many different perspectives. 

This week’s Sunday papers are going to be worth a read. The Sunday Times reporters have moved from the shock phase of grief to the anger phase. They are doing their jobs again and reporting on what is actually going on. They are investigating what went wrong. These things are really important. 

I can’t tell you what I think about these stories yet because I haven’t read them. This hasn’t stopped Bob273 on Twitter and he is probably blaming the press for the things he wouldn’t know if it wasn’t for the press.

I know that I’m not going to enjoy this phase of reporting. I find the anger phase of grief hard. It doesn’t suit my personality to be angry or to look for someone to blame. Knowing what went wrong never helps me to move on and I struggle with the certainty that things would be better if they had been handled differently.

I must go. The sun is shining and the papers are calling.


No comments:

Post a Comment