Wednesday 25 November 2015

Where do you keep your horn?

I love my job.

I know I've told you before but children are amazing.  They are funny, even when they don't know that they are being so.  Towards the end of a lesson today a child farted, it was loud and everyone laughed.  The child from whom the wind escaped said, "Oooh, I'm sorry about that.  This lesson is really good and I just got excited."

We all had to agree.  It had been a fun lesson.  We are looking at the first Disney Alice in Wonderland film, listening to the soundtrack and learning the songs.  We've reached the part where we meet Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum and we had our very own Caucus Race, where the only rule was that you had to move in time to music I played on the piano and then at a musical cue sang. "How do you do and shake hands,"

The children had really enjoyed listening for the musical cues in the film that signal danger, funny moments and creeping movements.  They were particularly amused by the noises that Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum made when they bumped into each other.

"Why do they make that noise when they bump their bottoms?"
I love their questions
"Why do you think?" I asked, hoping for someone to say that it makes you laugh.
"Because the composer decided to put an instrument sound in there."
"Well, yes, I suppose so. What instrument did he choose and why?"
"It was a horn."
I couldn't fault their listening skills, so I got out the French Horn and played a few notes. "Did it sound like this?"


"No, it's the horn you squeeze," they all agreed.
"Like this?"




They jumped.
"Why do they have a horn in their pants?" one boy asked innocently (really! He is only in year 3!)
I am a professional and so, of course I didn't laugh.
"Why has one of them got a bigger horn than the other?" asked another genuinely curious child.
"What makes you ask that?"
I know this sounds like a risky question but I wanted to know.
"Well one of them makes a higher sound than the other and you told us that big instruments make low noises and small instruments make high noises, so they must have different sized horns."

Yes! They listen to me.

The only thing is that now they've mentioned it I've looked at those odd twins and I think they both have very tiny horns if they are keeping them in their pants.



No comments:

Post a Comment