Tuesday 24 November 2015

Julia has a mature sense dark humour

On my first year junior school (year 3) report, my teacher, who used to take her contact lenses out to keep us quiet, wrote, "Julia has a mature sense of dark humour."

I wonder what happened to make her write that?

It is true, though. I find funerals, hospitals and illness both fascinating and hilarious. 
Not necessarily when they all happen at once but you've got to laugh.

Yesterday, was the 24th of November. It's my least favourite day every year and it lasts all day. It's November the 24th from the moment you get up until the moment you go to bed. It rains, you go to funerals, hospitals and hear about illness and it's nearly Christmas; the first concert is 2 days away and you are not prepared.

But if you look carefully, there is always a small chunk of hope; a glimmer of humour, waiting to catch you by surprise.

You walk alongside the deceased's grand daughter, who you haven't seen since she was an eleven year old giggly flute player in your Youth Orchestra and say, "Am I allowed to say how much you've grown?"
She squeals. Everyone turns to look.
"Oooh! You've grown too, I didn't recognise you!"

Damn! I knew my trousers felt a bit tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment