Sunday 31 December 2023

The seventh day of cheesemas

 You did it! You made it to the 7th day of Cheesemas, which means that you lived another year, unlike these people https://www.bbc.com/news/extra/w8pmj2u36t/notable-deaths-2023

The 7th day is my least favourite because as a child I thought it was death day and although I’m grown up and can use my powers of logic I’ll never quite get over the idea that on this day hundreds of famous people get called back to wherever it is famous people came from. When I was a teenager, my grandad died young, suddenly and unexpectedly on New Years Eve, cementing my belief in death day. Ted might not have been famous but he was certainly a legend. 

I don’t want to be a grump, because loads of people enjoy the countdown to the end of something and looking forward to a new period of the same thing. Oh, who am I kidding? I’m a grump about New Year. There’s nothing to be done. Embrace it. Go and see a film, have a curry and get an early night. Perfect.

It does mean that I have to forego friends’ cheeseboards but I have discovered that a saag paneer works just as well. 

I do, however, hope and wish that everyone (and I do mean everyone, even though that doesn’t seem to be possible) has a good year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment