Saturday 30 December 2023

The Fifth day of Cheesemas

 Day 5. The cheeseboard is looking a little depleted. It’s time to use some of those scraps. Maybe a cauliflower cheese or crack out the Breville sandwich toaster.  Use those leftovers though because it’s not long before you’ll  need to go shopping again. There’s another roast to make soon. 

It’s also time to go out. If you didn’t manage it yesterday then today is the day. It’s time to get back in training. Go somewhere you have to wear a bra and can’t go to the toilet whenever you like. Maybe be around a few ill people and build up that immune system again. Get Covid out of the way before you have to go back to school. 

We chose ABBA voyage. It was the Long Suffering Husband’s Christmas present. He had dropped enough hints and so I succumbed, even though I wasn’t sure. Call me grumpy but I hate the idea of holograms pretending to be live music. But it was ABBA and who doesn’t love ABBA? And it was the 12 days of Cheesemas and so a musical cheesefest seemed appropriate. 


We had a great time. It was a very enjoyable experience. 

But…

I’m going for it. Sorry. 

I’m with the woman who was being berated by her family.

“It was wooden,” she said “I’d rather watch a tribute band.”

“But this was the real ABBA,” they said.

“IT WAsn’t,” she started to shout back before swallowing the rest of her words.

There’s a touch of the emperor’s new clothes about this show. Because it’s ABBA (international treasures) and the lights are great and there is a live band (working a bit too hard) with a totally awesome conga player and very skilled sound technicians (although, even they couldn’t get rid of some of the muffling) it feels wrong to criticise. 

And it’s great fun.

Did I mention that? We really did enjoy the show. Even if, during the animation part the LSH turned to me and said, “This isn’t what we came for.” 

I don’t want you to hate me. I love ABBA. I love cheese in all forms but as I write this (the morning after on day 6 - half way through) I caution you not to feed the cheese rinds to the dog. Baron Bigod is smelly enough going in. Has anyone got a gas mask? 

No comments:

Post a Comment