Thursday 10 March 2022

No idea what is going on

 Since yesterday’s blog, where I confessed to avoiding writing about the invasion of Ukraine by Russia because I was worried about my sense of humour feeling flippant, I have come to realise that laughter is the best weapon I have. These are scary times and even if it is a little disrespectful, a chuckle lightens the mood.

In light of that thought I’m going to share two things that made me laugh.

The first is the amazing spelling ability of people on Twitter. I’ve seen Ukrane, Ucrane, Ucrayne, Eucrain (which I’m sure is a skin ointment), Eukrane, Eucrayne and even variations of Youkraine. Britain has the literacy level of a six year old that has learnt how to spell with phonics rather than reading. Sound trumps vision. This wouldn’t be that surprising if people were just listening to the radio and tweeting their thoughts but I think most people watch the telly, where the name of the country runs along the bottom of the screen in blue and yellow. And what about their autocorrect? Did they override the suggested spelling of Ukraine or not notice that the little blue flag didn’t appear?  🇺🇦 I’m amused and truly baffled.

Then, after making a batch of scones for a concert and realising that I had blue tablecloths and yellow plates to match daffodils that are in season at the moment, worrying that I had accidentally made the Ukrainian flag, until my daughter pointed out that I could have accidentally made the Russian one, I turned on the TV for an evening of Stanley Tucci comfort.

Blunt-fringed mock comforter, Beth Rigby was interviewing the sack of crumpled cloth that we voted to be our Prime Minister. They appeared to be in an aircraft hanger and were far enough through the interview for Beth’s eyes to be doing a passable impression of that 1980s soft toy, Sad Sam. The words I heard though, were quite unbelievable. 



Beth: I’m sorry I didn’t mention it

Boris: (laughing)  I’m just going to slide it in there.

Beth: It’s going to hurt a lot of people.

I laughed but seriously, I have absolutely no idea what’s going on anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment