Thursday 25 March 2021

Flags

 I was going to stop worrying about things that were out of my control and don’t directly affect me. It was the Long Suffering Husband’s suggestion to make my life a little happier. He’s a wise man. I mean what does it matter if the earth pulses every 26 seconds and no one knows why? 

However, this flag thing is bizarre.

I like a flag. It was my first little nerdy obsession when I was a kid. I learnt all the flags of all the countries. Maybe I was a little but Autistic or maybe there wasn’t much good telly. Lebanon was my favourite because it had a tree on it.



 Anyway, I think flags are brilliant. They are simple symbols that flutter in the breeze, bothering  no one. 

Why then, do I feel so uncomfortable about the proclamation from culture Secretary that all government buildings must display the UK flag, every day? What does it matter? No one looks up anyway. Government ministers have been getting a little creepy with their flag obsession lately. It’s getting to the point where I expect Geri Halliwell’s dress will become ministerial uniform. I’d noticed it happening and was quietly chuckling to myself but all of a sudden I don’t feel like laughing. For some reason, the diktat feels sinister. Maybe it’s the idea that a flag is culture at a time when real culture (the arts) is being suppressed as something virus spreadingly dangerous. Maybe it’s the sheer numbers of flags that will now have to be flown. After all, I’m not sure where ‘government building’ ends. Is it anything the government funds, or part funds? Schools, hospitals? 

I think my real discomfort comes because it brings to mind Nazi Germany and that worries me.

I shouldn’t worry. It will be fine.

This morning’s worry has reminded me of a conversation I overheard between two teenage boys.

“There’s no such thing as Nazi’s any more.”

“Yeah, there is,”

“No. You’re wrong.”

“Well, you’d find them if you went to Nazi Germany.”

“Oh, yeah, you’d see them in Nazi Germany. You’re right.”

“Is that somewhere you’d like to go?”

“Yeah. One day.”

I’m still hoping Dr Naomi Wolf (PhD in dubious history) is right and the vaccine will give us time travelling superpowers. One day.



No comments:

Post a Comment