Monday 10 April 2017

That's not a lady. That's Julia

The Long Suffering Husband and I had walked further than we intended. From where we are staying to Lyme Regis was a 5 minute car drive and we guessed would be about 3 miles on the coastal path, through the undercliffs. It was a beautiful but challenging walk. Wild garlic, primroses and ancient ferns at your feet, and birds, trees and blue sky above. It was at least double the distance we had thought and was rather hilly, slippy and trippy in places. Arriving in civilisation we flopped on a pub picnic table bench, ordered food and drink while we waited for the next Sunday bus.

A boy on the next table had clearly had enough too. He was sitting on the floor under the table with their dog.  They thought that their dog might be thirsty.  It wasn't but our was. The boy became interested in our dog. He asked if he could say, "Hello."
"Of course you can.  He might not say anything back, he can be a bit funny like that," I told him.
"That's alright," said the boy as the dog turned and showed him his bottom.
 "Can I hold him?" he asked, reaching for the lead.
Unsteady on my feet from all the walking I landed on the floor next to him and let him hold the lead.
The boy was absorbed with how the mechanism worked. A flexi-lead can be a fascinating object.
He introduced himself as Bradley and shook my hand. I told him my name.
The dog took the opportunity to tie himself around three tables in search of a stray chip.
"I'm going to have to take the dog back now," I told the boy, explaining that I didn't want him to annoy people.

I got back onto the bench, with some difficulty.  The LSH was back from the bar.  Bradley decided to join us at our table. His parents looked worried. "Don't let him annoy you," they said. I didn't think anyone as happy as Bradley could annoy me.  He was interested in my camera, so I showed him my photos.
"Can I have a go?" he asked, picking the camera up and placing the strap around his neck.  There was a sharp intake of breath from his parent's table.
I showed him which buttons to press and he took my photo and several of the lens cap.  He looked at the LSH and said, "I'll try one of him." I thought it was a good picture but Bradley didn't like it.  He took more pictures of me.



His mum came over and told him that they were going to get some sweets. She cajoled, "You like sweets."
"No!" he said, "I like cameras."
His mum looked frightened.
"Oooh, sweets! You lucky thing!" I said.
Bradley decided to go with his mum.
"Enjoy your sweets," I shouted after them.
"That was a nice lady," his mum said to him as they were leaving.
"That wasn't a lady," Bradley said, "That was Julia!"

No comments:

Post a Comment