Friday 28 April 2017

Fully Friday

"Are you a fully Friday teacher, Miss?" one of the youngest children in the school asked me on Thursday.
I wasn't sure if I had heard her properly. Exasperated with me after the third time I'd asked her to repeat the question she sighed, threw her arms in the air and flopped them at her sides as she said, "You know like Mrs C."   I'm still not sure what a fully Friday teacher is but Mrs C takes her class all day on Friday, while the class teacher has management and PPA time.

I told her that I probably wasn't, as I only teach music and swap between classes all the time.
"Oh," she said scratching her head, "I really thought you were a fully Friday teacher."

When my daughter worked in Windsor the MP was known as Adam on a Friday, which was not only a play on his name but also an allusion to the fact that he only seemed to work on a Friday.

Friday's are busy days for me. I start with school band practice at 8am and finish with Youth Orchestra by 8pm. I teach all day and run a club at lunch time and still manage to get into the staff room to take notes for the sitcom that needs to be written.  She might be right. I might be a fully Friday teacher.

Not today, though.  I think she jinxed me.  I was late. I overslept. I smudged my painted green nails. I didn't do my lunchtime club and had very relaxed lessons. I wasn't really with it in the staff room and know I missed things.  As I walked in I heard someone say, "It's a shame Julia wasn't in here earlier, that would have made a great blog." Everyone was flushed and giggly.  I have no idea what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment