Thursday 23 June 2016

Sorry. It's all my fault

The country has voted to leave the European Union.

In many ways, it was the most exciting thing I have ever watched (apart from Vince Cable, who I think might be a dementor). It was like ping pong. It went one way, then the other and back again.

Scotland, Ireland and Gibraltar want to remain part of the EU and so could start negotiations to leave Britain and make it less great.

It is my fault. I voted to stay in. Maybe because I understand the structure of the European Parliament. I can name, not only the President of the European Commission (Jean Claude Junker) but the British representative on it (Jonathan Hill). I understood that the European Commission was a civil service organisation. Maybe I did it because I prefer to work with people than cut myself off (actually, that's not true -I don't like people but I think other people should work together). Maybe it was because I've read Lord of the Flies and fear being stuck on an island with Piggy. Truthfully, I probably voted to remain because, as the Long Suffering Husband says, "Change is bad."

I'm not the only person who voted like this. Nearly half the population went the same way. If you are one of those, you've probably woken up this morning and are shocked. You feel a bit sick.

If you voted to leave thinking it would never actually happen, I hope you are wrong. I hope Cameron invokes article 50 today and resigns to let someone else deal with it. I think this is important because democracy is important. 

I apologise, though. It is my fault because I have never won anything. Not a raffle, not an election, not even a bottle on the school fete bottle tombola (except once when I won an out of date bottle of Asti Spumenti covered in dust, with paint on the label). I have lived in constituencies where MPs had so much support they could be a homosexual in the 1970s or travel on the tube with Miss Whiplash with hardly a dent in their majority. I never voted for them. 

The LSH just woke up and said, "I told you you should have voted to leave."
"It wouldn't have made any difference," I protested.
"But as you're such a jinx it might have swung it for remain."

He has a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment