Wednesday 14 January 2015

Dear Father Christmas

Dear Father Christmas,

I'm terribly sorry to bother you while you are taking your well earned holiday in the Bahamas. I know that you have worked very hard and you really deserve a break.


I am very glad you have been so generous this year and am in complete awe of your ability to deliver so many presents in one evening. I have noticed that you seem to have given many, many musical instruments and this is brilliant. Parents seem surprised that you didn't deliver instructions on how to play these instruments or magical abilities to instantly play like Nicola Bennedetti or James Gallway. We both know that the only reason you didn't bring these things is because they don't exist. Playing an instrument takes hard work. Loads of hard work and you can never stop working. Practise. Practise. Practise. Then practise some more. Even people who seem to be very good have to practise. A friend said to me last night. " I used to think that when I got to grade 3 I'd be able to play and then I thought it would be grade 5 but I still wasn't happy. I got grade 8 and then a degree and it's still bloody hard work." We all need help.

I know that magical abilities to be able to pick up any instrument and play it beautifully don't exist but I am hoping that next year you would be able to send me a little more time, patience and energy if you are going to deliver quite so many instruments. Would it also be possible to deliver a greater variety of instruments and some music teachers for those instruments? I'm not complaining but 120 flutes in any one band is probably too many.

If all this is too difficult maybe you could just take me with you to the Bahamas next year and leave me there.

Thank you
An already too tired music teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment