Monday 19 January 2015

Blue Monday

Today is supposed to officially be the most depressing day of the year: Blue Monday. 

You weren't feeling depressed? Well, let me help you. The weather has finally got cold, your Christmas spending credit card bill arrives, you have no money left in your bank account because you were paid early for Christmas and it's still a week until payday, you read Eeyore quotes yesterday because it was AA Milne's birthday, it's dark when you go to work, it's still dark when you get home from work, you've run out of potatoes from the allotment and have to buy some, your daughter is 21 next week and you are not ready to be that old, nothing has changed since the promising New Year with its bright and shiny resolutions and you can pledge all you want but life is still the same, and it's an election year.

I'm finding the election thing particularly depressing. Normally, I love it. The debates, the leaflets that come through the door for origami, the analysis and the swingometre. This election is different and I'm bored already. It's so much more complicated than the swingometre can cope with and I don't understand much of what's going on. I don't understand all this UKIP stuff, I don't understand why the government is so against having debt (everyone has a mortgage). I don't understand why the TV companies want Farage but not the green woman (that makes her sound like Elphaba I should edit it but I can't be bothered), I  don't understand why Nick Clegg is almost certainly going to be in a coalition government, even though it looks like he might lose his seat (can he be leader of the party without being voted into his constituency?).

Now for something to cheer me up. I can't quite decide between the brooding looks on the beach of Broadchurch or the sultry sideways glances of Silent Witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment