Friday 29 August 2014

Back to "Reality"

After a holiday, jet lagged and tired, real life doesn't seem as real as it should.

Back with a decent internet connection, I've finally been able to watch all those Ice Bucket Challenges on Facebook and make up my own mind about what I think about them.  I've also caught up with GBBO, which seems to have become a 'reality' TV programme, rather than a show about cake.

I was sad to see Ian, the Grey Gables chef from the Archers leave the programme.  I thought he was a dark horse, had some great ideas and the comments on his food were always about great taste.  I quite admired his passion: throw it in the bin and have a strop rather than present something than doesn't meet his own personal standards.  However, I am not happy with the way Diana has been pilloried, or that way it has been discussed on Newsnight.  Get a grip - it's cake - not politics.

After I wrote about why I wouldn't be doing the 'no make-up selfie challenge' you might be surprised that I feel differently about the ice bucket challenge,  which just goes to show what a fickle and inconsistent human being I am. I didn't like the no make up thing because it seemed to be about shaming women and I wasn't that convinced that the charity that it was linked to needed a greater public profile or more funds. The ice bucket is open to everyone and does have a point - freezing your brain gives you a small sensation of what motor neurone disease may be like. If people don't want to do it that's fine. If people don't want to donate to the charity that's also fine but it has raised awareness of Motor Neurone Disease, which, as it only affects a small percentage of the population is seriously underfunded. We can all agree that any illness that leaves you with a working mind, locked in a useless body must be so frustrating.

Also, I have really enjoyed looking at people's gardens.

So, I did it and it seems to be an excellent cure for jet lag.

No comments:

Post a Comment