Wednesday 27 August 2014

NY Day 5 - Perfect

Today has been my idea of a perfect day.

Central Park.

If you go to New York in the Summer, go there. Stay a whole day. Slow down and enjoy it. It is the most fantastic place ever. At one point, sitting on a bench, listening to the buskers, I felt quite tearful because it was all so lovely. For me, though, the best bit was rowing on the lake. I was able to relive my mis-spent youth. All those Summers helping Alex the Boatman on Lake Meadows Lake came rushing back as I rowed the LSH and myself around.  People thought it odd that I was doing the rowing: one lady shouted, "You look like you were on the row team in college. Good job!" and the photography girls looked the LSH up and down, asked who did all the work and high-fived me. The LSH noticed how happy I was and suggested that we get ourselves a rowing machine when we get home. I suggested that a year-long summer a pond and a rowing boat would be better.

Lunch at Loebs boathouse was amazing, too.

And playing chess at the chess house! We bucked the trend though and played backgammon. You hire the pieces for free!

Broadway Show.

If you go to New York at any time of year, see a Boradway show. It's no different to a West End show but you should see one of those every time you go to London. We saw If/Then staring Idina Menzel. It hasn't had brilliant reviews: The critics found it confusing but I think the critics must be stupid. It's a really clever story looking at the what if. It won't come to the UK though because it's a story about New York City planning, so I'm even more glad I went to see it here.
I'm not usually a groupie kind of person but we found ourselves by the stage door and so I managed to get Idina Menzel's autograph.

Empire State Building. 

It's got to be done. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like seeing Lego from above but there are hardly any lines at midnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment