Sunday 9 December 2012

In Praise of the Christmas Jumper

Knitwear is the greatest thing ever invented, isn't it?  It's like a hug.  If you are feeling sad or cold you can put on a nice warm snuggly jumper and all is right with the world again.  I've always loved knitwear.  I lived in long grandad cardigans during my college years, had a brief flirtation with twinsets when I started work and was trying to look professional and even took up knitting to make sure my own children were properly kitted out in traditional baby cardigans.  In my opinion there is no such thing as an ugly jumper.  

Not everyone agrees with me though.  There are people who have ugly Christmas Sweater parties and the media often uses a patterned Christmas jumper or Fair-Isle knit to indicate someone who is less desirable that they should be.  Even Bridget Jones was put off Mark Darcy by his black reindeer turtle-neck.  She thinks,  "Maybe this was the mysterious Mr. Right I'd been waiting my whole life to meet. (Sees his reindeer jumper) Maybe not."   I like Colin Firth.  I like him a lot but he is even better in the jumper.  Can't you just imagine snuggling up to it?

The Christmas jumper is a big fashion story this year.  Fair-Isle is back in fashion (which is great for knitters, because it's so interesting to knit) and every shop has a huge range.  Celebrities have even been spotted wearing them. 

Save the Children have the most fantastic campaign on the 14th December this year.  It is 'Christmas Jumper Day,' where you wear your Christmas Jumper and 'make the world better with a sweater.'  
http://www.savethechildren.org.uk/christmas-jumper-day

You could knit your own but unless you are a very quick  knitter and don't have to go to work, eat or sleep then you might need to buy one.  While I was out shopping today I found several beautiful jumpers.



I was tempted by all of them, especially as they come in my favourite colour.

There was even a jumper for the dog.


But I didn't buy any, as I already have a brilliant Christmas jumper.

My Rudolf jumper has a furry nose.  So many people have been automatically drawn to stroke his nose.  Luckily, I'm reasonably tall and have a sticky-out belly, so that the nose lies just below my belly button.  If I was a few inches shorter and had a flatter stomach then I could be getting several cheap thrills every time I wear it.  I wonder if there's a market for Christmas jumpers for strategically placed furry bits?  




No comments:

Post a Comment