Friday 28 December 2012

How I like thee Dr Google

Growing up I had a Nursery Rhyme book that I absolutely loved.  I still have it now and although it is battered and torn and the dog had a little chew of it when he was a puppy it is one of my most favourite things.  It has great pictures and is possibly responsible for much of my philosophy on life.  I truly believe that you shouldn't sit on walls unless all the king's horses and men are close by to put you together again, I think vinegar and brown paper can fix a bumped head and I do not like Doctors.
First of all there was Dr Foster, who was so stupid as to step in a puddle, get a bit wet and never go to Gloucester again.  That's no behaviour for a rational man.  I've been to Gloucester and it's worth going to again, even in the rain.  Then Miss Molly's doctor gave her a bill for the Dolly and all he did was tell her to put it to bed.  Finally, there was Dr Fell, which sums up how I feel about Doctors perfectly.

I do not like thee Dr Fell
The reason why I cannot tell
But this I know and know full well
I do not like thee Dr Fell.


Today, I went to see my doctor.  My voice has been missing since 12th December and that seems like quite a long time - even to me.  I believe that mostly we fix ourselves.  Voltaire said, "The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease."  Apart from being told by the doctor that he knew my voice would come back, that it couldn't be anything serious because I don't smoke he didn't really give me any ideas how to make it better or even what might be causing it.  No, that's not true.  He told me that I had lost it because I didn't know how to use my diaphragm to support and project my voice. If any of my pupils read this they will be laughing at the idea that I've been hoisted by my favourite nag.  He said that he knew that I wasn't using my voice properly, "you see you are doing it now, you're forcing your voice," he said.  So I stopped forcing my voice and he said, "pardon, I can't help you if I can't hear you!"

When I got home the Long Suffering Husband said, "Have you Googled it?"  Now, I'm not someone who heads for Google at every niggle.  I don't want to scare myself.  I don't want my subconscious to start thinking there might be something actually wrong.  But in the face of any other useful help I thought I'd give it a go and so I've become a fan of Dr Google.  I typed in' causes of Dysphonia' and found that whatever the cause the first treatment should be 'conservative therapy'. This is to remove the possible causes; don't drink alcohol, don't smoke and remove stress.  These are easy I don't do any of them and it's school holidays so if there is stress I'm unaware of it's gone.  You should drink only water, again an easy one for me and then you have to not use your voice AT ALL for 3 days.  I had given up trying to write things down because my handwriting is so dreadful and the Long Suffering Husband has got to the age where his arms aren't long enough to read, but I'm going to give it another go. 

 I am not going to say a thing until Monday.  Then on Monday, I fully expect to open my mouth and find beautiful sounds come out.

1 comment:

  1. But Dr. Fell was not a medical doctor at all; he was an Oxford University Dean and later Bishop of Oxford. Funny that the illustration thought he was a medical doctor too - when was the book published?

    ReplyDelete