Tuesday 13 November 2012

3rd the one with the hairy chest

The Long Suffering Husband has been nagging me to see a doctor for ages.  I don't like doctors.  I don't suffer them gladly.  I think many of them are no better than fools.  Loads of people love their GP and go running to them for every sneeze and sniffle.  I'm more of the 'pull yourself together' variety. However, I finally had to admit that I had a little problem that wasn't going away.  I have a tickle in my throat that makes me cough and it's affecting my singing.  I don't like things that affect my singing so I thought I'd give the GP a go.

I was very surprised.  It was a quick visit.  I didn't wait for ages.  I said, "I've had a cough for a while and I'm being nagged to see you."  He said, "How long?"  I said, "Honestly, I can't remember.  I know my husband was nagging me in the Summer holidays but I thought it was just an irritated throat and I was clearing it but I got a cold at the beginning of September and the cough didn't clear.  I've waited 2 weeks for this appointment and now I'm back to how I was." He said, "I'll listen to your chest,"  then he said, "your chest's clear."  I said that I wasn't surprised because it was in my throat. He stood up and got a form for a chest x-ray out of the box.  He said that it was probably just a bit of left over mucus but there were a few things it could be at my age  so I should have a chest x-ray.  I wanted to say, "Yes, but we both know it can't be either of them because I'm not coughing anything up, have no breathlessness, eating normally, not loosing weight or sweating," but I couldn't because he didn't know anything of the sort.  So I asked, "so you really think it's worth getting my chest x-rayed?" - pointing at my throat.  Possibly a little subtle I know, as he hadn't looked at me the whole time I was in there.  The Long Suffering Husband is very cross with me; he can't believe I didn't let the GP look in my throat.  

Anyway, I was good I went for the chest x-ray today and I think I know what's wrong.  It's a fur ball!
I stood against the x-ray machine, breathed in and held it.  The radiographer scuttled behind the screen to press the button and I heard her say these words to her colleague: "Hairy Chest."  It just goes to show how clever children are, as when I walked into a classroom on Friday there were two girls in there already, who sang, "Third the one with the hairy chest."

No comments:

Post a Comment