Friday 19 May 2023

Whakatauki


 I’m quoted on the Sing Up website as saying that it’s only because of their resources that I am able to be a music teacher or words to that effect. It’s true too. The amazing number of songs, suggestions of how to use them, the developing musicianship games are all perfect and stop me feeling like a) a fraud or b) irritated that the resources are boring/not developing enough musical skills. 

However, I think they may be out to get me.

 Lately, I’ve been a little tired and distracted. Spending your evenings in 1882 will do that to you. So, I haven’t always prepared as thoroughly as I might. I hear my dad’s voice ringing in my ears - 

“Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.”

That was one of the many proverbs that informed our lives. Proverbs and mantras rang through our household with a musical cadence that left us in no doubt how we should behave.

Every year SingUp commission a new song and encourage as many people around the world to sing it on one particular day. Our school loves this. We learn the song enthusiastically, singing it in the toilet or the playground. If you walk around you can hear snippets of the song in glorious primary school cannon. 

This year, they have commissioned three, all from  a different unheard world culture, with the idea that music can bring us together. The first song they released was called Blossom Up and it’s a beautiful song written by a New Zealander with Māori heritage. The overall message is about being yourself and includes a rap-type part in Māori language. Not easy. Luckily, Sing Up have provided a pronunciation video guide. The composer starts by explaining some pronunciation rules, like always roll your rs and never pronounce gs. He explained that the song includes a haka, which isn’t just the thing performed at the beginning of the rugby but actually just means chant. 

The chant in this song is ke-te ke-te te kā kā koe koe te tuī kū-kū te ke-re-rū so just do you.


It is a traditional Māori proverb that describes the way three different birds call but they are all beautiful. The meaning of the proverb is that you should be yourself. A bit like the Mama Cass proverb: make your own kinda music. 

Obviously, if you think this easy to say then you are a better person than me. I needed the guide.

It was all going well and I was thinking of showing it to the children then came the last Māori word. Although not in the song he decided to teach the pronunciation of the word for proverb.

Whakatauki.

That’s fine, except that it is pronounced far-ka-toe-key. In the video he repeats it over and over, breaking it down to the first two syllables. Then he speeds it up and says it at least 20 times. How many times can you do something unmentionable to a bird you’d usually eat at Christmas? 

I’ve always loved SingUp for their reliability but I do wonder if they are trying to get me sacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment