Thursday 7 July 2022

Thems the breaks

 It has been a very strange day in politics.

After 48 ministers resigned from their jobs because the Prime Minister lied about whether he knew that he'd covered up sexual abuse by someone he then gave a job to, it was clear he had to go. Many of us were hoping that he would cling on causing a snap election but he agreed that he would go once a replacement was found by Darwinian Natural Selection. 

He gave the most bizarre speech and all day I saw comments, tweets and texts about it.  Most people were commenting on the use of the phrase, "Thems the breaks." or how he mentioned Ukraine, as if he had personally ended a war that is still ongoing. People discussed the timing of his departure and what party he has planned at Chequers, which was clearly on his mind as he appeared to have forgotten that he was actually at Downing Street.  Its hard to keep track of where you are actually partying.  Obviously he also got everyone through Covid (except all the people who didn't get through it)

When I finally watched tthe speech I realised why people were so cross. What a weasel! Not sorry.   Incoherent. Bumbling.  Confused, Pledging as much support as he could give (nothing) to the next PM. 

Then he thanked people.  Maybe I'd got him wrong.

"Id like to thank the pianist of the Civil Service."

I listened to it several times.

He definitely said pianist.



I texted my daughter.

"I thought he said that too.  I listened to it several times." she told me.

No one ever thanks the pianist.

Honestly, being the pianist is a truly thankless task.  

Not only do you have more notes than anyone else, you hide behind the piano, are generally unseen but supportive.

I didn't know that the Civil Service had a pianist but I am so glad that the outgoing PM took time in his resignation speech to thank that person.

Obviously he is very sad to be losing the best job in the world but at least thanked the pianist.

Thems the breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment