Wednesday 6 July 2022

Team

 I’ve got a team!

Thirteen years ago I organised my first school summer music concert. Choir, band and soloists who I taught privately. I enlisted help from my daughter and a couple of her musical friends who were in the orchestra that I ran with my Dad. When she went to University she was replaced by my son and a couple of his musical friends.

Apart from a year off for grief and two for  bloomin’ Covid, it has run every year, getting bigger and better. 

Last night was the tenth Summer Music Concert that I’ve organised. Just over 60 children were involved (about 20% of the school). Two choirs, Two violin groups, a flute group, beginner wind group, band and solos from year 1 to year 6. No one cried (actually the audience might have: two hours is a long time to sit but I think it was mainly pride). The applause was roof raising and the children all want to do it again (which is the best feeling for any music teacher)

I still dragged my son along to move stands (actually, he offered) but this year I had a team. 

It is the most wonderful feeling. 

Five members of staff supported the groups that performed. Three members of staff set up the technical sound stuff. So many of them just stepped in and helped. 

Without getting too mushy I want to thank them all publicly. If I did hugging and stuff there would be big smooches all round.

The end of a long school year is in sight. Just Sports day, Bastille Day, a set of music exams, leavers production, a church service and a couple of assemblies to go before we are all reading books in the garden. I know that sounds like a lot but three of them are today, so we are nearly there team. 

It won’t be long before we need to warn the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment