Monday 13 December 2021

Clever little virus

 I know there’s a lot of negativity about at the moment. You are supposed to pick a side and stick to it and if you are human then you are meant to be against the virus. Probably all viruses but let’s just concentrate on this one for now. 

As I am currently playing host to the little chap I find myself feeling quite proud of it. Seriously, it’s clever and I’m always impressed by intelligence. 

It’s a fascinating bug. Virologists must be having their best day ever, being able to watch a virus, new to humans, develop and assimilate. It might not be behaving as anyone expected but it is progressing in a way that must be fascinating to study.

The hope is, that this study will be of some benefit to humans but it might not be. It’s a virus. It doesn’t really care about us. 

Rona, Corona, Covid, It. There are so many names and so many varieties. It’s like the Heinz of the virus world. Last winter ‘it’ gave children tummy ache. This winter, ‘it’ is ‘just’ a cold. Maybe we should call it the special Christmas cold that could kill your granny. 

I know that someone has now died with the new variant but statistically that tells us nothing, so keep calm people and carry on partying. 

Sorry. I think that was Rona speaking, although I agree with the one case doesn’t tell us anything part.

It is a clever thing though. Christmas is a time when our natural instinct is to gather together indoors, to be foisted with unsolicited hugs and kisses. No wonder it loves this time of year.  

I’m particularly impressed with it because it made me sociable. Briefly. On Friday, when I started to sneeze, I cut my lunchtime walk short because it was freezing and I was tired.

 “It’s been a busy week,” Rona said, “You need a rest. Just pop into the staff room and have a hot drink. Ooh look! People! Sit down. You deserve a rest. Of course you’re not sick. This is what always happens to you when you stop. Look, a funny conversation. Join in. Of course the staff room isn’t too loud for your holey brain. Sit back. Relax. Enjoy this moment.”

I hope no one in the staff room does get sick because Covid guilt is a bigger thing than I imagined but you’ve got to be impressed with ‘it’.

‘It’ is rather pretty too




No comments:

Post a Comment