Wednesday 8 September 2021

No idea what I’m doing

 The rumour is that today there will be a cabinet reshuffle. The reason people think this is that Boris is scheduled to be at Downing Street all day. Who knew that just being at your place of work could cause such speculation?  The rumour is that Gavin Williamson (Education Secretary) will go, especially after yesterday’s stupid blunder.



We’ve all done it right? Three hundred kids names to learn, you’re bound to get a few mixed up. You do tend to take extra care not to call all the black children by the name of the most charismatic, though. Everyone knows that would be bad. Muddling up brothers names or just completely forgetting is one thing but the idea that anyone could accuse you of thinking, ‘they all look the same to me,’ is quite another.

I used to be really good with names but less so recently. They just slip through the holes in my brain. I sit and study the class photos of an evening and then find that the real live children are indistinguishable from flat inanimate photos. 

This week has been a challenge. My anxious monkey brain presents me with the question, ‘you really have no idea what you are doing, do you?’ on a regular basis throughout the day. I expect Gavin has had the same thoughts because in truth, do any of us really know what we are here for? I guess it would be political suicide for him to confess that.

I do feel quite sorry for him. I know exactly what it feels like to feel as though you have no idea what you are doing and still hope you hold onto your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment