Wednesday 24 August 2016

I'm a quitter and I'm happy with that

The Ben Nevis Inn doesn't have enough outside tables for a sunny day. I suppose sunny days are rare, so normally it wouldn't matter. Cheekily, we sat on a table with a young man.
"Have you been up?" he asked.
We told him that we had but hadn't gone to the top.
"Oh dear, will you try again?" You could tell he pitied us and couldn't understand how we could be happy with our failure.

I'm not in the best shape I've ever been and knew the chance of getting to the top was slim but it wasn't going to stop me trying. I gave up first. There were huge stones to help you up the slope, which stopped me because I couldn't lift my leg high enough. I sat on a rock. My son gave up when he thought he'd seen the best view and the LSH quit when his fear of heights got the better of him and the shakes made crossing a narrow path over a river impossible.  While I waited for them I had the best few hours, sitting on a rock in the sunshine, people watching I. How often do you get to hear what people say just over a third of the way up Ben Nevis?

These are some of my favourites:

Allez- It's alright for you. I'm hot. I'm having a hot flush and I can't take my top off, like you have!

That was the second worst hour of my life. The first was Scarfel Pike.

To someone coming down: How's the cafe at the top? Anything good on the menu? - Depends what you've got in your bag.

We need to get round the corner, let the fluid in my knee get back to room temperature and we'll be alright.

About an hour and a half. Good luck. (2 very bouncy young girls on their way down)

Mum when we get home can we call the people?

Are we higher than yesterday? Not yet. 

Come on we'll be there by 2. Come on. Good pace.

Well, I've done more than my steps goal for today.

This way Jess. Not that way. Up. Up here. That'll do, that'll do nicely. (Jess is a dog),

They scheduled it in. It's the only way they can do it.

Have you got any popcorn?

We're not going to stop for another....what's the time now? Seriously, no stopping.

Poppy you can have my sticks. Poppy I'm not using them - you should.

So, why am I following you? - Good question Jude.

We've not rested yet. You've got up to go an we've just got here.

Down's not so bad, it's just up.

Where's the lift?

Look there's a downhill part. Don't do that downhill part. Not yet.

Oh Dan don't lean on her

It just hurts when you get rocks on your hands

It's the last little bit. We're nearly at the bottom now.

(Kid trips) You okay. Of course. Good. No whinging no whining.

Mostly, people didn't sound as they were enjoying themselves anywhere as much as I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment