Friday 5 August 2016

Four Weeks

"I'm bored!"
"You can't be.  Not yet. There's still four weeks to go."
"But I am.  I'm bored."
"What about all those things you were going to do in the holidays?"
"They're boring."
"No, they're not boring.  You were really looking forward to doing them."
"Was I?"
"Yes."
"Well, now I'm bored and I can't even remember what they were."
"Why don't you read a book?"
"I've read eleven."
"Eleven?  How have you had time to read eleven?"
"I don't know.  I just have.  Sometimes I've been reading two at once."
"It's a lovely day.  You could sit in the hammock and read another one."
"I could...... but I'm bored."
"Okay. You're bored. I get it.  Why don't you do something creative?"
"Like what?"
"Oh I don't know.  You could write a story."
"Yeah.  I've written 5,000  words of my story but I think I'll stop because it's boring. I don't think anyone would want to read it."
"What about some knitting?"
"Yeah, I could carry on with the knitting.  I'm three quarters of the way through a baby jumper but I've got one and a bit sleeves to do and sleeves are..."
"Let me guess?  Boring?"
"Yeah."
"What about making some bunting?"
"I could but the sewing machine is upstairs and I'm too bored to go and get it."
"Well, what about cleaning out those cupboards?"
"Oh, BORING!"
"Yes, I agree but you did say that you couldn't wait until you had time to do it."
"I know but.... cupboards,,,,,, they're just.....boring."
"You could watch the TV."
"But I've watched all of House of Cards now."
"All of it?  All 52 episodes?"
"Yeah."
"No wonder you are bored."
"Yeah, you know I'm thinking I really quite like going to school."
"I'll remind you of that when you are sobbing into your cornflakes crying, 'Don't make me go,' in September."
"Okay.  But I think I miss people. You know, real people who talk to you and stuff."

*Doorbell rings*

"What are you doing?"
"Hiding."
"I thought you said you missed people."
"Yeah but ....."   *picks up book, studies knitting and opens word document* "I'm not ready for real people yet."


No comments:

Post a Comment