Thursday 12 May 2016

Happy Birthday

"Six, seven, eight, nine.......and ten. I'd just like to warn you that I've had three hours sleep," I said to a male colleague who had made a only very slightly sexist comment.
"I don't know how you do it. I'd be so tired I wouldn't be able to function," he said.

Sleep is an odd thing. In phases of lots of sleep I can be more tired than when I have normal sleep but in these very restless nights there's a manic element to my waking day. I seem to fit so much more in. I get up at 3am, write, read, bake a cake and walk the dog and I have weird ideas and grand plans. It's on days like these I seriously consider entering the choir for the Songs of Praise Choir of the Year. 

Today, someone put on Twitter that it is sixty years since the registration of the trademark Velcro (both a blessing and a curse to any teacher). What teacher isn't grateful for not having to tie and re-tie thirty sets of shoe laces? But we have all been driven mad by the sound of ripping Velcro or had a child who is stuck to the carpet or another child by their shoe.

In my manic sleep deprived state I have come up with a lesson plan. A performance of Happy Birthday just using shoe and book bag velcro. It would be a brilliant post-SATs year 6 lesson. We could film it and send the performance to the Cheif Executive of Velcro Industries and to Nicky Morgan to prove that we are just carrying on with normal lessons rather than putting 'pressure on children' by letting them have any fun when the tests are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment