Wednesday 18 May 2016

EU make me laugh

Next week I will have been married to the Long Suffering Husband for 25 years. We are planning a trip to Vienna and neither of us can get excited about it because we are both too old and tired.  We thought a trip to a place whose history resonates with Nazi occupation would be the perfect celebration of 25 years of marriage. We did consider Berlin but we didn't want to join the politicians making topical Hitler references.

The plan was to go in half term but I checked my diary and we are going next weekend. I'm not sure how this happened and although I have tried blaming the LSH, he helpfully reminded me that I booked the flights and hotel. This is what happens. To quote Victoria Wood on menopause, "there's only 17 minutes in any month when anyone can get any sense out of me."

So here we are, neither of us looking forward to a trip away; me, with my hot flushes, other unmentionable menopause symptoms and a tendency to wet myself when I laugh or sneeze; him, with his back, general tiredness and the wrong glasses for any occasion; about to go to another European Country when the rest of England is talking about cutting ourselves off from Europe, hoping to take themselves back to a 1950's style utopian bubble.

Our local pub has suddenly decorated itself with a flag, which could have been placed there by it's current unhappy customers as a message to the unpopular owner but I am taking as a personal message to drink somewhere else.

Watching the EU referendum campaign play out on social media is funny and terrifying in equal measures. The LSH keeps reminding me that the politicians only promised a vote and they don't have  act in the outcome and I remember that Greece voted to leave but still seem to be very much part of the EU.
There is something about the campaign that is bringing out the nutters. #BorisisBananas has been trending on Twitter for two days and my Facebook feed is filled with pictures like this:

"Oh dear people who want to leave the EU really are silly, aren't they?" I said waving my phone in the LSH's direction.
He sighed. "Wait a minuite, I've got the wrong glasses."
"Because Indian trains  so run in Europe," I persisted, not bothering to wait for him to find the right pair.
"Mmmmm. Probably the wrong 
gauge."

He is quite funny. 


No comments:

Post a Comment