Sunday 30 March 2014

Stress

Yesterday, inspired by the Guardian's Secret Teacher piece about a teacher who has become so busy he is eating his lunchtime sandwich at the urinal.  http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2014/mar/29/teacher-time-standards  I wrote a blog about stress.

After I read the article in the Guardian I felt angry. I was angry that anyone should feel under that much pressure and then I became angry that these articles are published and then shared amongst teachers, each of them adding their horror stories as a badge of honour.   What I wrote in anger sounded preachy and so I  deleted it. What I'd like to read is more from teachers who do have a life, who aren't feeling stress to the point of breaking because they are the teachers we need to learn from.  I know that I'm not a 'proper' teacher so maybe my experience doesn't count but I thought it might help if I shared, honestly, how I try to avoid stress.

1.  I am busy.  Now, I know that sounds like a contradiction but I find that I faff if I have a lot of time.  If I have a whole Sunday with nothing to do then I can spend a whole Sunday planning lessons and marking work but if I don't then I get it done in a few hours.

2.  I eat lunch every day (even though I do a lunchtime club every day). I don't think it matters how busy you are it is important to sit with your colleagues and eat.  Nutrition is so important and you can't function properly without it.  I think the change of scene does my brain good too.

3.  I make lists.  Lists are important, otherwise it all just swirls around in your head.

4.  I don't worry about what I haven't done.  Lists should never be empty and if anyone asks if I've done something that I haven't and should have done I just tell them, "It's on my list!" or, "I'll put it on my list."

5.  Although, I am bad at saying 'No' to things I have learnt to get out of things by delaying and saying, "I'll check my diary."  Some people never ask you again and if they do you have had time to decide if it's something you really want to do.

6.  I get some exercise.  I'm no gym-queen or lycra-lover but I do walk the dog, swim and dig the allotment.  When everything feels like it's getting on top of me there is nothing like fresh air (or blue water) to improve my mood.

7.  I try to do the things I enjoy more often than the things I don't and when I'm really busy I try to remember that I only have myself to blame.  I could have chosen to do less.  It may be expected that I continue all the extra-curricular stuff I do but if I stopped then I would have more time but be less happy.

8.  I try to think of paperwork as the necessary evil.  It's the thing that needs to be done to do the lovely stuff. I only do what is necessary.

9.  I know that I'm going to feel uncomfortable playing the piano in public but the more I do it the less scary it will become (Maybe one day if I'm lucky)

10. I laugh a lot.  Sometimes not always appropriately.

The Laughing Conductor

11.  I remember that people are funny and the more people you engage with the happier you will be.
"Can I smoke it?" Kazoo playing at an Old People's Home

12.  I remember that my family are the most important people in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment