Sunday 8 September 2013

I'm such a Twerk

Yesterday, I discovered that twerking is not looking at Twitter while you are working. My daughter thought my idiocy was very funny. I had noticed that a lot of people seemed to be saying they were going to twerk when their boyfriends got home, which I thought was a little anti-social but who am I to comment.  I'm always working (with an occasional Twitter diversion).  It makes sense for the word to be an amalgam of  twitter and work but apparently it means dancing while wiggling your bottom in a sexy way.  Now I understand the need for the boyfriend to come home.  This appears to be a new word.  I'd never heard it before and I have discovered that it was Miley Cyrus who made it famous at the VMA awards by wiggling with Robin Thicke to the Blurred Lines song (don't get me started on it's terrible rapey lyrics)  in a flesh coloured bikini. I looked it up on You Tube and found a girls who wiggled into some candles and set herself alight before I found Miley's dance. I was a bit confused because I thought it must be a new dance but isn't it just the 'shake your booty' stuff that Beyonce has been doing for years?  Twerk is just such a silly work for a sexy dance.  It sounds more like an insult.

Then a friend had this picture on facebook this morning with the comment, "This is what you get from sharking."


Sharking - another word I had to look up.  Sharking is the female equivalent of de-bagging.  Instead of trousers being pulled down it's tops to expose breasts. I'm sure this has been invented because of the maxi dress.

The Oxford online dictionary has a list of new words for August 2013

1.Buzzworthy - like newsworthy but more trendy.
2. Squee - the sound of a squeal.  I'm not sure this word is needed as squeal is quite onomatopoeic anyway
3. Selfie - I knew this one.  I have taken a picture of myself but always deleted it quickly.  With my family genetics, the double chin exposes itself too easily in a selfie.
4. Me time - Surely this isn't new.  Haven't parents, when telling their friends that they can't even go to the loo on their own anymore, said, "I just want a little bit of me time."?
5.emoji - I've heard of these too.  I have an i-phone and it's the little pictures you can put on stuff instead of words. The big problem with these is that with my old lady eyesight all the faces look the same and so I can easily add a frown instead of a smile.
6. Unlike -  Now, I know this has been a word for a long time but apparently it's definition is now, "to withdraw one's approval of a post on a social media site that you had previously liked."  Is it just me or do some things just not need defining?
7.FIL - Father In Law.  That's just abbreviation.  I wonder if LSH will appear in the dictionary next?
8  BYOD -More abbreviations.  People now get invitations with BYOB, bring your own bottle and BYOD, bring your own device on.  I think the device is i-phone or computer but I suppose it depends on the type of party.
9. Jorts - This is a word I could have guessed, it's a word that twerk should have been, a mixture of two words we know already: jeans and shorts - denim shorts.
10/ Flatforms - Also makes sense.  Like platform shoes but flat thick soles rather than sloping ones.
11. Cake Pops - Cakes on a stick.  Not surprisingly, I have heard of cake pops.  I like cake.
12. Vom - When I was at university this was my favourite drink. A vodka, orange and martini.  If you drank more than 8 in an evening it did make you vomit.  The current version of the word cuts out the drinking part and heads you straight for the nearest bowl.
13. Food Baby.  I think I invented this phrase.  As a lover of cake who is prone to a touch of abdominal bloating I have had many, many food babies and I believe my first was in 1979.

In future I'm going to keep a closer eye on the new words so I don't end up looking and sounding like a complete twerk and making my daughter's boyfriend text SERIOUSLY (in capital letters) in response to her telling him about my misunderstanding of the word..

No comments:

Post a Comment