Saturday 27 July 2013

Facebook Etiquette

There should be a guide for facebook etiquette.  There probably is one.  It probably says, "DON'T USE FACEBOOK."  It seems to me that there are endless opportunities for offending people with social media that you didn't intend.

The 'like' button is a real problem.  I've been playing far too much Candy Crush and so between lives I see the newsfeed and find myself liking everything.  I must look like some crazy stalker.  Can I really like everything?  Actually, I probably do.  I am an inherently nosey person.  I like to know what is going on.

Sometimes, I find myself liking something and then immediately unliking it because the sentance is not something you can like. Hitting the like button becomes a shorhand for saying you've read the status, understood it, empathised with it or it made you laugh but if you are not careful you can like the fact that someone's cat has just died.

Today, I may have overshared (another fatal social media error) and then was promptly faced with all sorts of like/dislike dilemmas.  My status was, "It's concerning me that my anxiety dreams feature being chased by women in floral skirts with elasticated waists and hairy chins."  This is because I have a music competition to attend today and last night was filled with anxious fretful dreams.  I know these dreams are just my mind's way of working out everthing that might go wrong, so that it doesn't.  I know that words won't be forgotten, all the electrical equipment will be working, it won't rain so much that the car floats away down the lane before we can get out, it won't be so hot that the judges melt before we get there and I know I won't be chased by an angry woman in an elasticated waisted floral skirt with a hairy chin.

This particular woman, or versions of her, appear in my anxiety dreams with increasing regularily. I know this woman and she terrifies me (and another music teacher, who commented on my status).  When I was having coffee with a friend we watched people go up and down the High Street and I noticed that all the ex-music teachers that I knew had hairy chins and wore long floral skirts with elasticated waists and a top that didn't match. Quite often they were in sandles with socks and had their vest showing and sometimes had a bit of food dribbled on their chin.  I know that this isn't a scientifially representative sample (3) but it still got me worrying about my future self, which somehow keeps slipping into my dreams.

The problem with posting a status like this is that I want to hit the like button for comments that people post that make me laugh.  When someone posts, "It wasn't me!" or "I must remember to shave today!" it's funny but I worry that if I hit 'like' it appears as though I think they look like the woman in my dream, which they don't and they must know they don't but if I don't acknowledge the comment does that make it look like I don't think it's funny?  

It's all so difficult that I might just roll over and go back to sleep but I'm scared of the woman waiting to chase me.

No comments:

Post a Comment