Monday 5 September 2022

The new resident

 In America they get excited about a new president, in the UK we take the p off and TV and radio talk earnestly about the new resident of number 10.



The best kind of person to take the p is a very clever comedian, with nerves of steel and an intelligence that you can only admire to just reflect back what is happening and make us look into the political mirror and see the ugly truth. 

Joe Lycett, of buttering parsnips fame, is that person. 

When asked about the contest, he said, “Well, I think it’s been a great use of our resources. Great use of our media to have infighting in the party when there’s a cost of living crisis coming. I would just like to hear the truth.”

He then applauded Liz Truss wildly. 

“I loved it. Well done Liz.”

“I loved it. I thought she was very clear. She gave great clear answers. I know exactly what she’s up to and most people at home who are worried about their bills are going to…I’m not being sarcastic I’m…she was very clear what she said and you’re reasurred, I’m reassured, are you reassured?”

It worked as comedy because she hadn’t been clear.

Emily Thornbury said, “I’m trying not to smirk. It’s serious. What we all want to know is how we are going to pay our bills.”

“She’s going to sort it,” Joe told her emphatically.

“The haters will say that we’ve had twelve years of the party and we’re at the dregs of what’s available and Liz Truss is the backwash of the available MPs. I wouldn’t say that because I’m increasingly right wing but some people might say that.”

“As Liz said there, ‘it would be wrong to predict the future,’ even though loads of people have predicted that we are going to have real issues with paying our energy bills but erm I think she’s right to say ‘let’s just not predict and see what happens next week’. I think she did the right thing there.”

Genius. 

This isn’t much of a blog but I just wanted to write this masterclass in sarcasm and nerves of steel down.

I hope that the new resident doesn’t take the p too much because as thick-skinned as Liz Truss is she will need to win the public round if she wants to stay as Prime Minister for more than 5 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment