Saturday 1 January 2022

Happy New Year



 I read somewhere that being happy is 50% genetics. This was quite a shock. I thought we had more control than that. I thought circumstances played a bigger part but according to a study, using twins, baseline happiness is significantly inheritable and there were more serotonin transporter genes in those that reported happiness. (De Neve, J.-E., Christakis, N. A., Fowler, J. H., & Frey, B. S. (2012). Genes, economics, and happiness. Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics, 5(4), 193–211.)

So, I could wish you a happy new year but if you didn’t inherit enough of these genes then the happiness drug is going to take longer to get to your brain. 

Another finding from this study was that people significantly over-estimate how much circumstances affects happiness. I’m saddened by this because I’d like Ghislane Maxwell to be unhappy. I hate the thought that she will go to prison and carry on being the manipulative person she was, who continues to believe that everyone owes her everything and because of that belief, gets exactly what she wants. 

But it’s also good news because when life deals you a heap of manure it doesn’t mean that your capacity for happiness is over.

If you were genetically gifted to have lots of boats to take the happy juice to your brain then even in dire circumstances you will be able to occasionally feel happy.

The even better news is that we can do things to increase serotonin production and that makes up 40% of our happiness. 

You’ll not be surprised to learn that these things are exercise, being outside (getting enough sunlight), being grateful, laughing, eating nutritious food (especially food containing tryptophan), getting enough sleep, touch (don’t panic that includes stroking a dog or cat), laughing and listening to or making music. 

New Year’s Eve is the day when I feel least happy. It’s a depressing day, filled with death: The end of the year; the lists on the TV of the people that have died and Betty White from the Golden Girls not reaching her one hundredth birthday. I have a friend who has a dark New Year game where they predict the celebrity deaths of the year and although their celebrations are currently postponed due to one of life’s manure dumps I am cheered by the fact that one celebrity death will make them smile. It’s a sick world, I know but you have to get that serotonin pumping in any way you can.I also find the negativity of resolutions to be tough. On one day a year you must think about all the things you didn’t do well and resolve to be better. Why can’t we make, ‘that went well, I’ll do that again’ pledges?

But New Year’s Day is a day for walks and food and being grateful for everything you do have, so today I wish you all of those things to fill up your brain boats with happy juice.

And if you can’t get outside today here is a tree and some sunshine from my walk.





No comments:

Post a Comment