Monday 2 August 2021

The finer tools of procrastination

 I’m helping the Long Suffering Husband build his workshop (finally) and so we are both in the WIP (work in progress) phase of our long term procrastination project. It’s something we have been thinking about for ages and now we have to get up every day and do it. 

He is much better than me at just getting on with it every day and enlisting help to keep him on track. I prefer the excuse of an easy distraction and a forced panic to write my 500 words before he gets up.

This routine is not without its own distractions. I get up and do my yoga, play candy crush, complete my day’s DuoLingo lesson and make myself breakfast before procrastinating a little more with a blog.

For a person who has never been interested in labels or designer stuff or having the latest whatever I have discovered that I am soothed by some of the finer things in life. When the LSH bought me cake forks for Christmas one year I was thrilled and I keep them in a box for cake night (Thursday). Who knew that cutlery could make a person so happy? My breakfast consists of toast and marmalade, which is easy to eat when typing and only makes the keys sticky if you drop it.

It can’t just be any old marmalade though. It has to be Tiptree and so a visit to their shop is also an essential procrastination exercise.

“Ooh, look at these spoons,” I said to my daughter who was less than interested and busy checking out the flavoured gins. They are small, perfect, silver and heart shaped and stop you dipping butter into the pot. It is the thing my life was obviously missing.

Having a proper spoon for my latest pot of marmalade (lime - no it doesn’t taste like washing up liquid) has made my morning procrastination so much more civilised. I can’t help thinking that the teenager in me that thought I would always drink Earl Grey tea from a bone China cup and saucer, poured from a warmed pot when she grew up would be proud. 



Anyway, enough procrastination. I have 500 words to write before I hold planks of wood in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment