Friday 5 February 2021

Frivolous Friday

 After yesterday's very miserable blog we all need a laugh and for anyone on Twitter who is missing attending council meetings Jackie Weaver and her authority will have obliged nicely.  People like the Long Suffering Husband, won't understand why it's funny and just look on, incredulously as they wonder why people are so rude to each other.  Twitter, being a place for journalists, writers and politicians just shrugs it's shoulders and laughs.  

"Dad, it's always like that.  Council meetings are shouty power struggles," my daughter tells the LSH.

"I don't understand why it's funny," he confesses, "They're just acting like children."

"That's what's funny," I tell him, "The father and son are particularly funny when he says something like, "Dad, she can't do that to you!" in his whiney playground voice."

My daughter and I crack up, remembering meetings we've been to, where fights erupt over a tie or the etiquette of whose turn it is to speak.  

"It's rare in Parish council meetings though," my daughter tells him, "Normally Parish Councils are just a group of friends or neighbours who want to talk about parking."

I wasn't so sure because I am fairly certain a parish council near to us has a professional agitator of the racist variety.

I went to bed and dreamt of councils and council meetings.  I had a long elaborate dream about a local council meeting where they discussed how they could make their money back from the parking charges they weren't collecting.  In the end, after several people being accidentally muted and some thrown off the zoom meeting they decided that they had to make money on the only things they could and so would be increasing burial and cremation costs by 400%.  In my dream a man called Isaac Briangorsky appeared on the news to explain.

"We've looked at it all very carefully and death is big business at the moment.  It would be wrong of the council not to benefit from this opportunity.  We need to do something to make up the lost income from the parking fines at the hospital, now that no one is allowed visitors."

In my dream Isaac, spent the news broadcast stroking his tie and referring to his authority.

In real life, our local council has made some social distancing posters that have made me laugh.  I noticed them when I was out walking the dog this morning.  I'm not sure how accurate they are but next time I'm out I'm going to try to get 9 squirrels to line up, so that I can measure them.




I also made myself laugh on my walk and no one else seemed to find it funny.  I saw my neighbour walking her dog.  He's a doodly dog, one of those that's very popular at the moment and looks like a huge teddy bear.  We chatted from each side of the road, as there weren't any grey seals to check our distance.  A couple were walking towards us on her side of the road with two dogs.  One spaniel (if only they had 4 and we could have checked our social distance) and another doodly dog.  This hound looked exactly like my neighbour's except it was white, to his brown.  All of a sudden there was crazy barking, pulling on the lead from the brown doodle.  He looked terrified but the spaniel and white doodle just walked past ignoring him.

"Oh I'm sorry, I don't know what 's wrong with him.  He's never like this," my neighbour apologised.

"He thinks he's seen a ghost!" I said and no one laughed.

I hope you all have a frivolous Friday because God knows we all need it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment