Thursday 26 March 2020

I’d rather have a doughnut than the clap

Something rather remarkable and uniquely British happened this evening.

People opened their windows or stood outside to applaud the carers of the country, who are working so hard during this Corona virus outbreak. Then we all went to the pub for a quiz.

The pub quiz was online because pubs are closed. This was perfect for me. I love a quiz but this was accompanied by lemon tart and peppermint tea with no noise of lots of people. I hope it happens every week, even once we are out of this self isolating phase.

I was initially cynical about it. Not the quiz but the show of appreciation. This might have been because of how it was named and the fact that my mind is that of a slightly dirty 12 year old. They called it NHS clap for carers.
“As if they’ve not got enough problems,” I said, giggling childishly, “I can think of better things to give them than the clap.”
My daughter, typing fast enough to make me think something was on fire agreed and we discussed the fact that we couldn’t really see the point. It’s not that we aren’t grateful. It’s not a job I could do and I’m so glad that others can, especially at the moment. We also talked about our favourite cafe in Pembrokeshire, where we learnt the skills required to survive with very little to do, that is allowing you to buy welsh cakes to send to the local hospital. We talked about sending doughnuts instead.
“I’d rather have a doughnut than the clap,” she said

I was wrong. It was a very emotional moment and I love how it appreciated everyone. Not just the doctors, or nurses but the care workers, the cleaners, the social workers and the nursing auxiliaries. I might still send doughnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment