Wednesday 10 April 2019

Tokyo Shrines

There are so many shrines in Tokyo you couldn’t see them all.

Yesterday, I wondered why you would want to. “Seen one shrine, seen them all,” I kept muttering under my breath. I was tired and a bit grumpy yesterday. We walked thirteen and a half miles and I’d only managed about four hours of sleep. It was sunny and the shrines were all quite noisy and crowded. I found most of them a bit overwhelming. Today, however, after a good nights sleep and viewing them in the rain with less people I’m beginning to think I could just spend my life on a shrine hunt. They are all slightly different but also the same.

Every shrine starts with at least one Torii gate at its entrance. These are often red but not always.



You should bow as you enter and before you leave. The gates mark a distinction between the real world and the world of the gods. There is something about going under these huge gates that makes you feel how small and unimportant you are in the world.

These gates sometimes lead to shrines and sometimes to temples. I haven really worked out the difference, except that you are supposed to light incense at a temple. Some temples are Buddhist not  Shinto but Shinto shrines still have the Buddhist symbols. It is quite shocking to see the swastika on  something so peaceful. Blooming Nazis!






As you approach you come to a place to cleanse yourself ready to greet the gods. You are supposed to dip the ladle in, pour some water into your left hand which you then tip in your right hand. I have read that you are also meant to wash your mouth with it (from your hand, not the ladle) although I have yet to see anyone do that.

When you get to the shrine you can ring the bell two or three times to let the gods know you’ve arrived.


Then you go up the steps, bow deeply, drop a coin in the box, clap twice,  make your wish thanking the gods and bow again before you go back down the steps.

Inside the shrine or temple it can be sparse or highly decorated. There is often a huge drum.
Each place has its own unique thing. I believe that each one hosts different gods and can bring different luck.  You can buy a fortune and if it’s good luck you take it with you but bad luck you tie onto something to leave it there for the gods to deal with. My fortune was very bad luck and said that fire was going to burn up to the sky. Unfortunately, when I tried to tie it on I pulled too hard and ripped the paper in half. Still, the LSH got ordinary good luck where every day just gets better. I think I’ll borrow a bit of his.


All shrines have something that is worthy of Instagram, from sake barrels to multiple gates, to huge pagodas. Here are a few more pictures.









No comments:

Post a Comment