Sunday 3 June 2018

Don’t Mention the War

I have been quiet lately. No blogging. No other writing. If you texted me then I probably replied with a heart emoji. If I saw you in the distance then I dropped my eyes to the ground and scuttled past. Obviously, I have been perfectly fine but then, as I reminded my son,  I only have two states of being: perfectly fine and bloody brilliant. The problem is that I’ve just returned from The Great Elephant Wars of 2018. War is never pleasant. People who return sometimes can’t talk. It takes time.

I read Wonder. It’s a brilliant book. The English teacher has a precept of the month and gets the children to think about it. Something like, “When given the choice between being right and being kind, choose kind.” I love these little mottos, aphorisms or rules for life. Everybody does. We add pictures to them and turn them into memes.

Anyway, in Wonder the teacher asks the children to send him their own rule for life on a postcard. His address is published in the book, so I sent him mine:

“Try to laugh a little every day, even when life is shit.”

Then I realised that I haven’t shared my laughter with anyone, which has become a precept of mine since I started this blog. I said to my sister, “It’s a shame I can’t do blogging at the moment because some of this is really funny.”

“Just start,” the writing books say. So I’ve started. Just don’t mention the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment