Monday 18 December 2017

Being Appropriate

Every year our we have a Christmas Quiz for our Youth Orchestra and every year I am reminded that quiz writing is harder than it looks. 

With a quiz, you have to think of your audience.  As you know, music builds the brain, so our kids are very bright but we have members from the age of 7 to 18 and it has to keep them all entertained. I made a poem out of the answers in the first round and started to make the second round answers begin with N but I got bored.  I thought about rickrolling the whole thing and getting a bit of Mr Astley and Never Gonna Give You Up in there but I was too lazy.

I had every round as something to do with Christmas and forgot that to deliver the round on where different Santas were from required me to actually pronounce them.  Święty Mikołaj is Polish and is actually pronounced Schvienty Mikolai which I only found out because one of our members is actually Polish.

One round where they had to find the missing carol lyrics sounded incredibly rude when read aloud and had the other committee members sniggering naughtily when I read "Blank blank thee Lord Jesus."

I also had a picture round that I stole from the internet. I took some of them out and luckily decided not to use this one.






In case you are wondering, it is O Come All Ye Faithful. I think you have to be American not to see it as complete filth.  Ol' faithful is a geyser in Yellowstone park although it doesn't appear to be penis shaped and despite scouring the internet I see no photos of men wearing condoms on their head standing next to it.

Obviously, it wouldn't have been appropriate to use it but it is perfect for a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment