Monday 22 May 2017

Patronising the Voiceless

I know a thing or two about being voiceless.  It's not pleasant.  It makes you feel lonely, stupid and worthless but if you can get over that it's funny.  Watching how others talk you you is hilarious.  Strangers look at you as if you might be contagious. People you know look at you with sympathy, head cocked on one side, try to give advice to the point where you feel completely patronised.

I'm not the only voiceless person that is being patronised at the moment.  I've been watching social media getting it's knickers in a twist about people who aren't registered to vote.  If you aren't registered you are truly voiceless.  You have no say on who runs the government. Obviously, there are millions of others that have a voice but choose to stay silent.

For whatever reason these people aren't using their voice the reactions to them are similar to those I'm getting.  People are giving them advice.  All young people are being urged to register by politicians and journalists who write about politics. This is the Twitter equivalent of pissing in the wind. Anyone who hasn't registered to vote is not following these people. People I know are posting on Facebook that  on the 8th June 1913 suffragette Emily Davison died after injuries suffered in the name of women's suffrage.  They then suggest that this is the reason why people should use their voice. I can't help thinking that many people who are not going to vote have never heard of Emily Davison or what women's suffrage was.

I agree in principal with getting people to vote but I worry that that all this advice to the voiceless will seem patronising and no one listens to patronising advice because it just makes you feel even more powerless and stupid.

I've noticed that when I try to speak it makes people uncomfortable.  People would rather not hear my attempt at speech.  They'd rather not hear that I can pronounce the voiceless consonants like f,s and c, which makes me sound a little snake-like, or hear my Minnie Mouse impression when I force what sound I can out, through the top squeaky notes of my register.  Maybe those who aren't planning to vote should speak up more; should say why and should make a point because no one should stay silent because it makes others feel uncomfortable.


No comments:

Post a Comment