Thursday 26 January 2017

Ouroboros

When I was young I read a book. 

 That's not a surprise, I know.  I've read several.

 It was a book I've been thinking about a lot recently.  It was a science fiction/fantasy book called, 'The Worm Ouroboros,' and it disturbed me.  I can't remember much about it, except that it was set in the two kingdoms of Witchland and Demonland and it was really hard to read.  It was also completely frustrating because the story ended up at the same place it started and I felt as though I could start it all again and still have no clue about what was happening.  It had a picture of a serpent eating it's own tail on the cover.


That's how I feel about the world at the moment: a serpent eating it's own tail.  The same people that voted for Brexit because they wanted to make UK great again are complaining about the people who voted for Trump because they wanted to make the USA great again.  The same people who wanted Britain to have control of it's sovereignty by leaving the EU are complaining that the Supreme Court upheld the decision that parliament must have a say in how and when Article 50 is triggered because it is sovereign.  

I've been quite depressed about the whole political situation and I've been trying not to write about it because if I did I think it would be a huge page of, "AAAARRRRRRGGGGGH."

I can't help thinking that not writing is the wrong thing.  Not only has it made me more grumpy in real life I think we have a duty to call out the stupidity.  Donald Trump's presidency is only six days in and already he has rolled back affordable health care, withdrawn from TTP, made some weird announcements about Muslims, brought back torture, started an investigation into voter fraud (we can only hope that he'll find that votes for him have to be discounted) and he's going to build a wall and make the Mexicans pay for it.   I'm struggling to know what to write because it just sounds too bonkers to be real but it is true.  There is a madman in charge of America and our Prime Minister is taking some jam, a two handled cup (I'm imagining a toddler training cup) and a Bakewell Tart when she goes to talk to him.  Some people say that she shouldn't talk to him but without Europe, we could end up needing him much more than we would like.  
  
There has been much discussion of Trump's linguistic level, especially in his narcissistic tweets. Analysts say that he has a vocabulary of 200 words (most adults have 5000 at their disposal).  This is like a primary school child.  Yesterday he tweeted something that I wasn't even sure was English and it certainly didn't make sense.  

Looking for the positive, I'm quite looking forward to the amusement that comes from listening to small children try to find words.  Toddlers go through a phase of putting 'poo' in front of every word.  Maybe that's why he's so fond of Putin.  Small children also make up words with supreme confidence.  Today, I was working with a group and we were singing the planet song to the tune of 10 little Indians.  We'd sung it with numbers, "One little, two little, three little planets, four little, five little six little planets, seven little, eight little, nine little planets, orbiting around the sun," and I'd asked the children to tell me the planets they knew.  I was impressed with their knowledge. I had a class of four year old space cadets.  They had named seven planets.  I gave them a clue.
"There's a really small planet that's close to the sun and begins with Mer."
They were on it like a shot. Of course they knew Mercury.
The last clue: "It's a little one and it begins with P."
If you stood still and listened you could hear the cogs in their brains working.
"Oooh, oooh, Plercury!"
"No, sorry, it's not Plercury."
"Penis!"

It's the only thing that has cheered me up in weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment