Sunday 28 February 2016

Stuck in the Senility Loop

When you live with someone that you've known since you were sixteen you see changes in them.  You feel like the same person. You haven't aged.  You don't have wrinkles or grey hair. Your mind is just as sharp as it ever was.  But the person you share your life with.....well!

Everyone has those moments when they go upstairs and can't remember what they went for, or they arrive at work in their slippers, or they inexplicably find their keys in the fridge.  Last night the Long Suffering Husband amused us all with one that we've never come across before.

We were having a (brilliant) birthday meal the William B and between courses we noticed that the LSH had been a long time in the toilet. This is something that polite people don't usually mention but he came back and said, "I'm sorry I was so long, the thing is...."
"Stop, Dad," my daughter reminded him that you don't discuss bowel habits at the dinner table.
"No, No. It wasn't that.  I'd been to the toilet and...."
I could feel a hot flush starting. "Are you really sure you want to tell this story?"
"Yes, it's fine.  You see, I'd just been to the toilet and I washed my hands, then I put them under the dryer and pressed the button and a whole load of foam came out, so I had to wash my hands again.  Then I forgot that it wasn't a dryer and I did it again."

He'd got himself stuck in the senility loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment