Friday 19 February 2016

Euro Hokey


"This Euro vote thing is a disgrace," the Long Suffering Husband said when I finally arrived in bed after my weekly anger management session that the BBC likes to call Question Time.
"I wouldn't exactly call it a disgrace.  It does seem to be a bit of a pantomime though."
" It's fraud."
"I just think they couldn't get any politicians to be on the 'out' side."
"I'm  not sure it's got anything to do with politicians."
"You could be right there.  The general public all seem to be voting a different way."
"It's terrible that their vote didn't count."
"That's politics. Most people didn't vote for the current government."
"That's different."
"I suppose it is all voting systems are different."
"They should ask for their money back."
"Ha!  That's a bit extreme.  There's more to the BBC than one programme."
"That's still no excuse for deceiving people."
"No, I suppose not.  Still, I don't suppose they did it on purpose."
"What?  Of course they did.  They want everyone's money.  They wouldn't have voted if they thought it wouldn't count. Anyway, I really liked those Polish Milkmaids."

I wash shocked.  How could the LSH be basing his decision on whether to stay part of the EU on Polish milkmaids? 

He was talking about something much closer to his heart: the Eurovision Song Contest. They have announced that the voting system will change this year. Instead of the public votes counting as one weighted vote on the country's jury the public votes from all countries will be added together and announced at the end. Commentators are saying that it will make for an exciting finish. All news writers are talking about Poland's busty butter-churning act of 2014 which was voted in the bottom five by the UK jury, but scored the highest with the British public. However when the scores were combined, it did not score enough to get into the overall top 10 and so it received no points from the UK at all. The LSH has always thought this to be the biggest injustice in his life, so far. If none of the other countries liked the Polish entry, though, they could still get no points (I think).  

I'm confused.  

The public can have very different to the experts and Eurovision and the EU referendum are both sounding like a game of Hokey Cokey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment