Thursday 26 March 2015

Growing up

Normally, at this time of year I will blog about how much I hate Easter or a strop I've had during the practice for the church service. I will tell you that I hate the whole concept of celebrating the torture and final murder of someone who dared to have a different belief or about how a stupid instrument (like the piano) can be made so much worse by a key that doesn't work. I will complain about the coldness of a church with stone floors and working on my day off. 

This year, I have no desire to do any of that. I quite enjoyed the Easter Service and although working on a day off when the LSH had taken a holiday caused some initial friction, it was all perfectly fine in the end. Les Dawson was only in church for a little while, although that was caused by getting distracted by a cute toddler who was dancing around the piano, with better time-keeping abilities than some of my year 6 children and the children all sang beautifully. 

Maybe I have finally grown up and joined the rest of the world. Maybe whipping and stripping isn't so bad after all. I did chuckle when the child read,"Now the whole school will sing Lord of the Dance," and a loud whispered, "Yes," and fist-pump that rippled around the church.  Is this hymn responsible for the popularity of Fifty Shades? 


If my sudden maturing is to be believed then the next thing I think I should try to develop is poshness. When I was at Junior school there were a couple of boys who used to tease me and called me posh because I pronounced the ends of my words and so I've resisted being posh ever since but I can see that it might have some benefits. 

My friend is very posh. She conducts with her little finger sticking out, like she is drinking a cup of tea. I could try that but she conducts holding a pencil and the only time I tried that it flew from my hand, almost blinding a second violin.

Jeremy Clarkson is posh. If you are posh then you can punch and shout at subordinates and everyone still loves you. I'm not sure I'm cut out for that level of poshness either.  

David Cameron is posh. In the interview with the BBC that is currently providing columnists with an alternative to Clarkson, he sighed, smiled and said, "Oh the posh question." The journalists are very excited that Cameron ruled out a third term as Prime Minister before he's won a second term. I'm not sure he did, though. I've noticed that posh people use the word, "No," as a kind of pause in their speach. When asked if he would stand for a third term, he started with the word no but went on to say something about not all Prime Ministers going mad, that he hadn't finished the job and he still had more to do. Apart from the no word it I thought he said he was going to keep going until we noticed he's bonkers. I like the use of no as a pause. Posh people are probably trained to do that at public school so that they don't end up working for free and on their days off. I might try that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment