Tuesday 8 July 2014

Judgemental

Are you mental if you judge people?  (I can tell you are judging me already: "You can't use the word mental!")
 I ask because I think I have a problem.  I want to be kind and fair and believe that everyone has their own way of doing things but I keep judging.  

I don't think I'm alone.  We all judge, don't we?  

The number of pushy parents I meet who tell me about another parent who is, "so pushy, she'll put her child off," is quite remarkable.  Obviously, I'm trying not to judge the pushy parent - oh dear, too late I've already judged them as pushy.  I will say that I'm a great fan of pushy parents because no one would ever learn a musical instrument without a pushy parent and obviously I am a pushy parent too.  

If you think you don't judge then I don't believe you.  See, I'm judging you.  You can't be perfect.  You have to be as bad as me.  

In the last few days I've judged complete strangers.  The woman on her phone with the loud voice in the park, discussing her holiday of too much red wine and pasta or the old man walking his dog who drooled after a long-legged teenage girl in micro shorts or the woman who waved her teenage daughter off for a week's trip with the words, "And come back a nicer person!" or the parent who screamed at their toddler in the supermarket or the man swimming too slowly in the pool or the woman wearing socks with sandals and a skirt have all been victims of my silent judgement.  I haven't confined my judgements to strangers, either.  Should I confess to judging my friends, colleagues and family?  I don't think I will but just to let you know I am probably silently judging what you say, what you eat, what you wear and how you behave.  However, you mustn't feel bad about this because you are judging me too, unless I am perfect after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment