Tuesday 24 December 2013

The Government should do something about this

It was a bit windy.  The rains stopped running.  Trees fell on power lines.  Wheelie bins fell over.  People got  cross.
"It's nearly Christmas for God's sake!"
"This is ridiculous,  I can't do my Christmas shopping!"
"It's about time the Government did something about it!"

Now, I'm a believer in democracy and I think having a government is a good thing.  A large body of people with a common goal to make life better in a country mostly works.  They can usually get quite a lot of things done but the last time I checked, they didn't have powers to control the weather.

Moaning about the weather is a very British thing to do, which is odd because although we do get quite a lot of weather, it's not very extreme.  A wind that blows over a wheelie bin is a 'storm'.  I don't think the people of Antigua or the Dominican Republic would be very impressed with our storms.  I think we need to be careful what we wish for, though.  I don't want the government to control the weather.  A little bit of variety is good.  The possibilities of government control of the weather feel like the beginning of a science fiction novel, with a bio-dome, where some great power can decide to let us have sunshine or rain, whenever they want.  Scary.

It reminds me of the Highlander Film, where the government had a shield installed and people could live forever.  I know I've told you all before but I think it's worth repeating:  I don't want to live forever - I'm quite tired already.

If the government controlled the weather then cool, unexpected things like the explosion of the snow globe in Piccadilly Circus, yesterday couldn't have happened.  I wish I had been there.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2013-12-23/snow-globe-in-piccadilly-circus-bursts-due-to-weather/

No comments:

Post a Comment