Thursday 4 April 2013

Happy Anniversary

My parents got married 49 years ago today and it snowed.  It has been one of the stories of my childhood.  A cautionary tale for those who want good weather in Spring, "In 1964 it snowed on the 4th of April."  It also served as a warning to choose to marry at a more predictable time of year, weather-wise.  My parents' wedding photos are very funny because my Nan is in a huge fur coat and headscarf and one of my cousins is wearing welly boots and a balaclava.  It is snowing today and if you looked at social networks you would believe that such a thing has never happened.  I checked a weather history website and discovered that in 1821 it snowed in late May in London, so there is no guarantee that my wedding anniversary will be any warmer.

I find that Anniversary cards are very difficult to buy.  The sentiment in them seems all wrong.  You can have a card that looks more like a funeral, In Sympathy card with flowers and curly writing.

You can have something with teddy bears on it, which just doesn't seem right for people who are in their 60s and 70s.

You can buy cards alluding to a rampant sex-life, which just isn't appropriate to send your parents.  


And then there is the thing that irritated me more than anything:  To a Special Mum and Dad.
I may be hopelessly out of touch, only having one Mum and Dad to choose from but surely it would make more sense linguistically if the card said, "To My Special Mum and Dad."  Maybe the card makers are thinking that if they don't specify possession you could send the card to anyone who happened to be a parent who was celebrating an anniversary.  


Greetings card messages are often stupidly sentimental too.  I know I'm sounding like an old grouch and I really do hope my mum and dad have a lovely day, just as I hope every day they have together is great.


No comments:

Post a Comment