Sunday 10 February 2013

Synchronicity

In a world packed full of information, I've often wondered how we choose what to pay attention to.  Why is it that  you meet people you know when you've traveled half way across the world but take absolutely no notice of the strangers that are around you all the time? It is a fact that when you are thinking about something those things appear in your life.  Once I was having lunch with my mum and she said, "You never see men on bikes with their gardening tools strapped to the crossbar on their way to the allotment anymore" and a man on a bike with his allotment tools strapped to the crossbar cycled past.

Footpad. "I HEAR A CYCLIST COMING. I'LL UPSET HIS BIKE, AND THEN—"BUT IT WAS MR. TUBER-CAINE, THE ALLOTMENT ENTHUSIAST, RETURNING FROM HIS LABOURS. (Punch Oct10, 1917)


I was reliably informed by QI that if you have lost your keys you are much more likely to find them if you walk around the house, repeating the word,"keys" over and over again. 

This unusual human habit of seeing connections has always amazed me and some co-incidences are jaw-droppingly amazing.  It's almost enough to make you believe in Kismet, divine intervention or some paranormal activity.  One of my favourites is the story of the baby that fell from a window in Detroit onto a man passing underneath.  Neither was hurt.  This was an amazing stroke of luck but exactly one year later the man was walking under the same window and the same baby fell out and landed on him.


This morning I was browsing through Twitter and noticed some tweets about the channel 4 programme, 'How to Build a Bionic Man.'  This is not a programme that would normally grab my attention but then I saw a tweet from the Vice Chancellor of the University that my daughter studies at, which said, "A real hair on the back of the neck moment - 'it does work!' - when DMU's Joan Taylor's artificial pancreas releases insulin in "



This did interest me so I read a bit more about Joan Taylor and her research. Fascinating stuff.  Joan Taylor has spent the last 20 years trying to develop an artificial pancreas.  This is potentially great news for anyone with Type 1 Diabetes.

JDRF LogoJDRF Logo
Reading this was making me think about a brilliant young lady I know, and her family who have been raising money for JDRF (The Juvenille Diabetes Research Foundation) and as I was reading an e-mail came through from them.  Her mum is running the London Marathon in April and has been training hard for a while.  Her e-mail was to let me know that it is only 10 weeks to go and to let me know that details of her 'just giving' page so that I could sponsor her, which I am going to do as soon as I have finished this blog.

If you have stumbled upon this and managed to read this far you might like to consider sponsoring her too.



No comments:

Post a Comment