Friday 27 July 2012

A small obsession

Follow that!

What a brilliant Olympic opening ceremony but the pressure to make the local Carnival a good one now weighs even heavier. So, between watching, eating cheese and tweeting I have been making paper flowers to fill our float.  It's becoming a small obsession and I confess that Danny Boyle captured my corner of Britain brilliantly, as I am also in my pyjamas.


This is how I make my paper flowers.  If you want to make some for the float or just for fun you can follow these instructions.

First take several sheets of tissue paper. I find that 6 - 9 sheets makes a good fluffy flower.  The sheets should all be the same size and square or squarish.  In the following example I used some red serviettes that I found in the cupboard.


Fold sheets up concertina-style (like a fan).


Find the centre and hold it tightly.


Wrap a wire around the middle.  I used forestry wire for this one but have used the ties you get with freezer bags for others.


Round off the edges with a pair of scissors.
l

Spread the fans out.


Lift one sheet at a time.  Pull firmly but gently and shape into a flower petal.


Continue one sheet at a time on alternate sides.


When all sheets are lifted, fluff the petals until you are happy with the shape.


Flowers can be made any size, with any tissue paper you have.  The first picture was made with tissue paper wrapped around a box of chocolates I was given at the end of term.




No comments:

Post a Comment