Wednesday 7 March 2012

Trill Seeker

"Miss, what are these little button for?"

The joy of teaching the flute when a pupil discovers the trill keys is indescribable. The smart children try to use them all the time, especially to go from a C to D, which is tricky and the annoying children just love alternating between notes as quickly as they can.  This is then repeated ad nauseum. 
A colleague once told me that a pupil had arrived at the lesson ready to burst.  "I know what these buttons are called," she squeeled. "Do you?" he asked.  "Yes, they're THRILL keys."

Composers love to write trills for woodwind instruments.  It's just laziness really.  They should write out the notes that they want you to play but they just write one note with the symbol tr.... over the top.


Tonight, my friend said, "I haven't got a trill inside my clarinet this evening."
When I replied with a single word, "birdseed.", she just agreed. 


 After a little while she started to worry.  Maybe she has sat next to me for too long.  We were even wearing matching scarves!

No comments:

Post a Comment