Saturday 17 March 2012

All at Sea

When I was studying homoeopathy a tutor told us that a person's environment reflects their health and so you should listen very carefully to a patient's experience.  You should ask them about the state of their house and their car.  This caused great hilarity at the time when a chap in the group said, "my gear knob comes off in my hand every time I touch it."

 

Last time I went swimming some water got into my ear and so I've had a few days of dizziness.  It feels as though I'm on a boat, as though I need to hold on just in case I go overboard.  Strangely this also ties in with how I feel about life at the moment being just one small step from the edge of the boat and drowning in a pile of un-learnt songs and paperwork. 

During yesterday's Friday assembly the band were playing as the classes were coming into the hall, for what felt like a VERY long time.  I turned to the headteacher and asked, "are they all in yet?"
Her reply was, "It's like the Titanic, just keep playing, dear!"

 

Then I went to a meeting about how our town is going to celebrate the Olympics.  I am proud to be part of this completely crazy idea.  Essex arts teams are celebrating the Olympics by hosting a game of the giant Olympics.  The project is called Sparks Will Fly  http://www.sparkswillfly.org.uk/  and consists of two giants, Boreas and Marina travelling around Essex to collect glass beads.  Boreas is windy and Marina is watery, so we get Marina visiting us.  The glass beads are to be filled with something that represents the town.  When we first discussed it we thought about filling ours with Beer, Salt and Mud but thought that wouldn't look beautiful enough.  Luckily, our bead has been designed by my very talented friend, who is going to make a Thames Barge sail on a sea of 200 glass bottles, filled with messages from the people of the town.  

 

The bead and bottles will go on display in the library over the Easter holidays. (Keeping libraries used and open - another great thing!)

When Marina The Mightier arrives in Maldon she will process down the High Street and go to the prom, where there will be a carnival atmosphere, with stalls and music and other things to get involved in.



Fire Queen from a Walk the Plank project - how Marina could look
Now, all I have to do is co-ordinate 10 primary schools to learn 10 National Anthems to play with the Maldon Youth Orchestra, after the children have processed down the High Street with the Giant.  Simple.  I'm not drowning - honest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment