Monday 13 November 2023

The End of Democracy

 I haven't written a blog for a while. Many things have irritated me and I've thought that blogging would help but I'm trying to write a book so I'm saving my words.

However.

It makes you long for the days when Prime Ministers died in office, doesn't it?

I'm writing this down because in the future it won't be believed.  

The conservative party has tried everything it knows and even given a few new ideas a go, to horrific results (Liz Truss crashed the economy). We've recently found out that Boris Johnson was hoping to kill off all the old folks during the pandemic but people still forgive him because he's like a loveable toddler. The Home Secretary, Suella Sneererman had criminalised boats, tents and helping the poor. She got cross with the police for allowing a peace protest on Armistice Day. Who'd have thought that would be controversial? Armistice from the Latin meaning stopping weapons. That would have been fine, as there really wasn't anyone to replace her but she took the unusual step of refusing to edit her article in the Times, as the Prime Minister requested.

So, Rishi, was left with no choice but to sack her, which left him with a problem. None of the young conservatives want to ruin their future career by being associated with this spent government and there is no one else who hasn't had a go.

"Who can I ask?" he wonders. "I need someone clever.....I know.....Cleverly. But that leaves a space for foreign secretary. Who could I ask? It needs to be someone who can get on with other countries."

This morning I opened up a news app and told the Long Suffering Husband that the Prime Minister was considering replacing Braverman with Cameron.

"He's not an MP," he reminded me, "He can't."

"But it's being tweeted by the political editor of the Times. How can he have got it wrong?"

We were both confused then a few hours later the Cleverly news came out.

"See, I told you it couldn't be Cameron. He shuffled off after the Brexit fiasco." The LSH was about to launch into another round of swearing so I headed him off by sending him a short video of a needy dog.

Then we found out the Prime Minister made  David Cameron foreign Secretary. 

The LSH laughed. The idea of the ex-Prime Minister that got on so well with other countries he started Brexit left him properly guffawing, confident that it still couldn't be true, as the foreign Secretary had to be an MP, surely.

Except that they can make up whatever they want now and Cameron is apparently going to be made a Lord or maybe a chocolate covered biscuit (I used to like a Viscount).  

Nothing to worry about. No problem with that. The Foreign Secretary never needs to be questioned or held to account in the House of Commons. No one ever needs to ask the Foreign Secretary anything. 

Oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment